Friday 4 November 2011

#73 In the field: Ruffed grouse sculpture (Bonasa umbrellus)



Ruffed Grouse etching used for Grays Sporting
Jounrnal back cover and Remington Arms Catalog
5 1/4 x 3 1/4
There is nothing like the smell of boiling coffee and bacon before daybreak on the morning of a hunt. To get to the birch-lined logging roads and grouse woods,  we must leave the island for the mainland at first light.

I am working on a grouse sculpture at  the Lander studio but the model and armature is too fragile to transport.  I must collect  my reference here and take it back to Wyoming to complete my work.

I guess you could call this multi-tasking:  The dog gets to hunt and so do we, a splendid grouse dinner will be enjoyed tonight and the material I need to create my work will be gathered afield.

Life is good.











Penny waiting for the go-ahead whistle to hunt







Go to the BLOG INDEX on the right for more information.

Blog, text, photos, drawings, and sculpture . . . © Sandy Scott and Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment