Wednesday 4 April 2012

#203 In the foundry: "Swamp Buck" patina


I moved my studio headquarters from Colorado to Lander, Wyoming years ago to be near the foundry that casts my work.  I live less than 5 miles from the foundry and when in residence in Lander, I can be found there almost daily.

Yesterday was spent at the foundry applying patinas on work for up coming shows. Shown is a new sculpture, Swamp Buck, that will be introduced in June at the
Prix de West, held at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, OK.  The clay model can be seen in an August, 2011 post.

The patina procedure is as follows: The sculpture is sand blasted, then (below)
liver of sulfur is applied while the bronze is cold and scrubbed back, revealing the high points and leaving dark in the negatives.  At right, the patineaur heats the
bronze and ferric nitrate is stippled on.  Finally, the bronze is cooled, sealed, waxed and based.



No comments:

Post a Comment