Sunday 15 April 2012

#211 In the field: Gilcrease Rendezvous Reunion, con't . . .



I was born in Dubuque, Iowa and when I was 2 years old my family moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma.  I attended Tulsa Public Schools which were known at the time to be
among the best educational systems in the United States.  My high school art
teacher, Sue Johnson, was a recognized American watercolorist and was
instrumental in my acceptance into the Kansas City Art Institute in 1961.

Friday, during the artist luncheon at the Gilcrease Museum's Rendezvous Reunion, 
I spent a quiet moment in the Vista Room which overlooks the beautiful Oklahoma 
Osage Hills.  Below me, on the manicured lawn, was my eagle sculpture, Above It All; 
which is in the museum's permanent collection. 



In the distance I noticed a yellow school bus which had carried children to visit the museum; just as a yellow school bus had carried me to this magical place so many years ago.  I remembered the overwhelming feelings I had when I visited the museum as a child and saw the paintings of Moran, Bierstadt, Remington, Russell, and the John James Audubon's painting of the Wild Turkey.  Television was in it's infancy and the art took me to places I had never  imagined and opened my eyes to the wonder of art.






No comments:

Post a Comment