Tuesday 20 March 2012

#191 Remarque: Equestrian monument


Horses have long been one of my favorite subjects.  I've owned horses most of
my life, and when I was a kid growing up in Oklahoma, my folks raised and bred quarter horses.  To this day I keep horses to use as models.

Several years ago I created a colossal equestrian monument depicting 5 running horses for the city of Avon, Colorado which is at the entrance to world famous ski resort Beaver Creek.  They were designed to be presented as a group or separate. Two of the horses, numbers 3 and 4 are connected and the edition of 5 is sold out. The composition of 5 is a one of a kind installation.

The lead horses, number 1 and 2, are also connected and the number 5 is solo.   There is a casting of #5 in a public sculpture garden in Skagway, Alaska; numbers 1 & 2 have never been installed as a pair.  At right is a close-up of the lead horse, number 1.





Installation of number 1 & 2 :  They are enormous . . . one plus six-tenths life-sized!


No comments:

Post a Comment