Monday 17 September 2012

#313 At the museum: National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum


Persimmon Hill magazine is the National Cowboy Western and Heritage Museum's award-winning journal on the West.

The magazine premiered in 1970, an occasion that also marked the fifth anniversary of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum. Persimmon Hill has been published continuously as the museum's flagship publication.  

Below, is a recent article in the magazine about my sculpture demonstration at the museum in June.  I have taught bird anatomy, sculpture and design workshops for over 25 years and have demonstrated my method many times.  Typically, the clay model is dismantled and the clay is used another day.  

Occasionally, I consider a demo "worthy" of completion and casting . . .  
such is the case with the Prix de West block-in of the Western Screech Owl. I will continue to live with the unfinished work until next year's deadline looms . . . at that time, I will strive to retain freshness and spontaneity  as I finish the piece for the prestigious 2013 Prix de West Exhibition.  

See post #254, June 9, 2012, and #264, June 22, 2012 for more information regarding the Western Screech Owl demo.

http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/events/pdw 






In progress - 1 hour clay demo block-in of Western Screech Owl


No comments:

Post a Comment