Wednesday 16 June 2021

#669 "Midnight at the Oasis"





"Midnight at the Oasis"
7"H 11"W 5"D
Ed. size 30
2100

Covid 19 has had me studio-bound and I’ve taken advantage of no travel deadlines to put forth a plethora of new work.  My subject matter has been diverse and much of it reflects recent travel before covid as well as  2020 travel plan that were put on hold. 

“Midnight at the Oasis” was inspired by a 2019 trip to Morocco and while there, Trish was determined to ride a camel. The bus stopped outside Marrakesh where men with a group of camels were giving rides to the tourists.  As Trish bounced along across the sand, I took pictures and took it all in.  I found myself humming Maria Muldaur’s old 1973 tune, “Midnight at the Oasis” all the way to Fez and planned my sculpture of the gaily tacked camels in a recumbent pose. . . every camel stop resulted in more pictures.

Back home in the studio, true to my self-imposed rule of never modeling an animal unless I’ve experienced it afield, the inspiration remained safely in my mind and digital reference.


No comments:

Post a Comment