Wednesday 24 July 2013

#446: In the field and studio: "firsts"


The first great event of my life was a family summer vacation to Yellowstone when I was 13.  The Wyoming trip plunged my young life into a rich adventure which would change me forever . . . it was the beginning of a spell that the West has had on me to this day.

Having never traveled beyond Oklahoma, this event presented many "firsts" in my young life:
First time in a boat, caught my first fish - a Cutthroat Trout . . .  saw my first Elk, Antelope, Moose, Bald Eagle,
Grizzly, Bison, and Mule Deer.

The experience revealed the treasures and possibilities that lay ahead in life:  I now live just two hours from
Yellowstone and never fail to reflect upon and realize the meaning of that summer vacation long ago . . .
the vast and wondrous frontiers waiting to be explored were unveiled during that first trip out West.


 Below, a watercolor from my sketch book.




Below, a recent sculpture . . . Elk Bull and Cow Bookends  15"H 14"W 8"D




Below, a clay sketch in progress of an antelope bust




Below, a small oil study of a moose  5" x 7"





Below, dedication of Presidential Eagle at the National Museum of Wildlife Art . . . with Bill Kerr, founder 
Jackson, Wyoming





Below, Tail hook  19"H 36"L 18"D




Below, Buffalo Fragment II  18"H 17"W 7"D




All painting, sculpture and etchings - copyright Sandy Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment