Wednesday 8 January 2014

#494 In the field: Africa . . . Elephant, con't . . .


Please start this series of posts with #477

  While in Tarangire, every morning before daybreak, we were awakened with a pot of coffee brought to 
our tent and left camp for a game drive before the sun came up.  Our box breakfast and lunch were sent 
in the Land Rover which allowed us to maximize our time afield.  One morning, while we were enjoying our 
"bush breakfast", we were delighted to see a herd of elephants on a rise behind us, 
headed to our destination - the Silale Swamp.  Below, are photos that represent  unforgettable 
memories and a source of reference and experience that will remain with me for the rest of my life.















Upon my return from Africa, I was overwhelmed with the urge to get my hands on clay . . . never had I experienced 
so much input from wildlife in the field.  The creative impulse was so profound that I started a sculpture of a trumpeting elephant on my first day back in the studio before the warming box had a chance to soften my clay!   It is now two months later, I continue to be inspired and in the same zone with over ten sculptures of various species in progress.  Shown below, is the first block-in of my African portfolio and a drawing from my Tanzania sketchbook.

   



For anatomy reference, go to posts #563, #616, and #655
Blog, text, photos, drawings, and sculpture . . . © Sandy Scott and Trish Smith



No comments:

Post a Comment